Thursday, September 26, 2013

Embossing Folder Stamping - Magical Season

Happy Thursday!!!

Typical Thursday around here ... I've been accomplishing a LOT of seriously unimportant things whilst procrastinating on prepping for my events this weekend.  Although I DO feel good that my overflowing recipe book is now somewhat organized ... I PROBABLY should have spent my time doing other things.  That recipe book has been a work-in progress since ... umm ... July ... of 2012!!!  In hindsight I'm thinkin' THAT little gem could have waited another day or two.  Hopefully the 670 children at Leo Nickerson School will appreciate my organizational skills tomorrow when their "Make & Take" project is more of a "Look & Walk Away" project *lol*.  

Meh ... you know me ... it will somehow all come together (not really sure WHEN since I've been awake since about 2:30 am, desperately need a nap and tonight is "Rebecca Night" meaning we will be baking ... not prepping!! ... but it'll happen ... somehow ...)

SO!  Rather than going down to prep NOW I figured prcrastinating another half hour wouldn't hurt ... so I'll share a fab little card I put together last night (the girls and I were SUPPOSED to be making a banner for Alicia's birthday party next weekend ... but while they fiddle farted around coming downstairs I managed to squeeze in a card ... oh ... but we DID start the banner so stay tuned for THAT project in the next 2 weeks!) ... hmmm ... a little more rambly and *Squirrel*y today than usual, aren't I?  ... Good thing I can type as fast as my mind switches gears .....

Here's the card:
 LOVE it!!!!  It's just a plain, simple, classic Christmas card in traditional colors.  Hmmm ... the red in the picture is brighter than in person ... my lighting must be off a bit ... ANYway ... it was a fun card to make and not at all what I set out to do.  Once I cleaned the mess off my desk and could actually SEE the desk top I spotted  the new single stamp I bought last week "Magical Season".  I opened it and assembled it not even remembering what it said or looked like.  Hmmm.  I liked it ... no wonder I ordered it *lol*  Looking at it I figured the sentiment could stand alone without too much fussing ... so I stamped it in Real Red on some whisper white and cut it out with one of my oval framelits.  So far so good.  I looked for some DSP as a background but it was all too "strong" ... I wanted soft and subtle.  I looked at my embossing folders ... hmmmm ... mayyyyyybe ..... The few I gravitated towards were all a little too "busy", even for embossing.  I kept heading back to the new Stylish Stripes folder (in the holiday mini) ... Ya ... embossing it might look good ... but what about something even more subtle (the stripes DO emboss fairly deeply and I wasn't sure that was the look I was going for).  I decided to try the Embossing Folder Stamp Technique again (see my Alphabet Ppress Birthday Card from a few posts back).  I didn't want all the stripes the same color ... and I wanted traditional Christmas colors ... so I grabbed my Real Red and Old Olive ink pads and finger daubers and daubed ink directly onto each stripe:
This process took about 5 minutes ... which is too long for my attention span ... so I wouldn't mass produce this particular card ... but it turned out great nonetheless and I highly recommend you give it a go!

Once the folder was all inked up I simply turned it over and used it like a stamp on my whisper white layer.  In order to get an even, firm pressure across the whole image I rolled my brayer over it a few times:
ooooo .... look at the pretty nails!  Yet another *really important task* that had to be taken care of before prepping :)

*Squirrel*?

When I lifted the folder this is the background I ended up with:
LOVE it!  It's vintage / rustic imperfection is exactly the look I wanted (although I didn't know it until I saw it *lol*).  I actually added just a SLIGHT bit of red to the edge of the piece with my dauber ... just for a relly subtle hint of red for a frame.

I added a frame of Old Olive using one of the Deco Labels Framelits, added a strip of Real Red scrap that was sitting in front of me, popped the sentiment up on dimensionals and added a few rhinetones.

Love it!
Give the Embossing Folder Stamp Technique a try!  It's fun!  I think I'll try the new Pretty Print Tectured Impressions folder soon ... that will give a great vintage feel ...

Here are the supplies I used:

Whisper White Card Stock - item # 100730 - $9.25
Real Red Card Stock - item # 102482 - $8.50
Old Olive Card Stock - item # 100702 - $8.50
Stylish Stripes Textured Embossing Folder - item # 132174 - $9.95
Magical Season stamp - item # 134777 - $7.95
Clear Block D - item # 118485 - $11.50
Real Red Ink - item # 126949 - $7.25
Old Olive Ink - item # 126953 - $7.25
Deco Labels Framelits - item # 130102 - $30.95
Ovals Framelits - item # 129381 - $32.95
Dimensionals - item #104430 - $5.50
Basic Rhinestones - item # 119346 - $6.50
Finger Daubers - item # 102892 - $14.50

Click here to place an online order and have your items shipped directly to your door!

OK ... I guess I should go prep something ... unless something *urgent* comes up on the way downstairs, of course ;) 

Until next time ... have a stampy day!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment