Thursday, January 8, 2015

Doula & First Birthday Cards

Happy Thursday!

I suspect today is going to be one of those "I THINK I should get a lot done today but likely won't get much beyond brushing my teeth" kind of days.  Apparently the Catholic School Board figures today should be a Professional Development Day for the teachers.  I suspect they realized that the teachers are all ready to take up drinking after having the kids back at school for three days and needed a break from them.  They seem to have forgot that us parents have had the little "angels" under foot for the last two weeks and are only now just getting OFF the booze!  Today might just throw us all into a tailspin *lol*.

A PD Day on Day 4 after being off for 2 weeks.  Seriously.  Who comes up with this stuff????

Oh well - no lounging around for MY kids - nope - they have DENTIST appointments!  Fun!  Hee hee - no I'm not so evil that I specifically planned a trip to the dentist on their day off - we have to book our paediatric dentist at LEAST 4 months in advance - this one was on the calendar since last summer!  … and truth be told my kids LOVE going to Dr. Kurjhi.  Seriously!  They ask when they "get to go again".  This woman is fanTASTIC and I'm not kidding when I say if she moved to Red Deer I would make the 3 hour drive to go see her.  She is amazing with kids (and their moms!).  I'm actually glad we are going to see her - I have been working on a little present for her since … umm … August!  This will force me to actually FINISH the darned thing before 12:30 today!  (and yes, I'll share a picture of them soon!)

Speaking of finishing things, that leads me into today's post!  In early December my friend Pam asked me to make her some cards.  Pam is a Doula and I have custom made cards for for a few years now.  This is what she gives her clients:
Once the babies are a year old she sends them a special birthday card:

I think that's such a lovely, heartfelt gesture on her part and I'm thrilled to be a part of it!  The Doula card is SO quick and easy to make.  I simply used our Note Cards and Envelopes for the base and run it through the Big Shot with an embossing folder (this one above is retired but there are few similar ones currently available).  I have used a variety of colours for these cards - the one shown is Pool Party.  I printed the sentiment off on my computer and then stamped it with the flourish from the retired "Bliss" Sale-a-bration set from a few years back.  A few rhinestones and I'm done!

The birthday cards are a lot more time consuming but they are still one of my favourite cards.  The blue one is Marina Mist and Chocolate Chip.  The pink one is (retired) Pretty in Pink and Chocolate Chip.  The circles are 1 1/4" and the cupcake is 1".  The cupcake is long retired - can't recall the name of the set but it was one of the sets that has about 35 different small images like this one.  The "1" is punched out with the Big Shot and the (retired) chocolate chip ribbon is attached with glue dots.  I used dimensionals to pop up the solid circles for some added dimension … and added Dazzling Diamonds to the cupcakes after colouring them with my markers.

Guess I should fly - I need to go finish those dentist gifts!  Until next time - have a stampy day!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment