Sunday, October 11, 2015

Wonderland Beauty

Happy Sunday … and Happy Thanksgiving!

I was toying with a 10 minute "meditation" while I wait for my pumpkin spice cake to finish cooking alas … thought I'd post a project instead :)  .My brother and SIL (and their schnauzer Olive!) are in town (they come every Thanksgiving) so we're heading to Mom and Dad's for the annual big turkey feast.  This year mom actually let me BRING something!  I'm on brussel sprout and dessert duty.  I've been wanting to try a brussel sprout recipe I found on pinterest so this is my big chance.  Dessert?  Home made lemon pie (my FAVE!) … store bought pumpkin pie (not a fan of pumpkin pie but the others are so … and I WOULD have made it from scratch but Craig used my pie dough last month so I only had enough for one pie!)  I found another recipe I wanted to try - a pumpkin spice / toffee cake with cream cheese icing … so we now have 3 desserts to choose from.  Wa-hoo!  lol

So today I'm going to share a stunning card I CASEd from fellow CANADIAN demonstrator Cynthia Millan over at www.stampwithcynthia.blogspot.ca.  I deviated very slightly from hers but she gets ALL the credit.  Check.  It.  Out!
Isn't it FAB???  It looks SO awesome in "person"!  Pop over to her website to see a video on how she created this, if you are a visual learner.  I'll give you the jyst of it here …

The star of the show is the Woodland Embossing Folder.  Seriously.  This is a MUST have folder for all your masculine cards, sympathy cards and scenery cards.  It really is awesome!  The back-up star is the "Wonderland" stamp set in the 2015 Holiday Catalogue
Oh sure - you probably COULD use the trees from the Lovely As A Tree set but … well … oh just buy the darned set - it's new and pretty … and has elk antlers!  lol

OK so this technique is super easy.  you simply open your embossing folder.  Apply Soft Sky ink directly to the inside of the folder (on the flap that has the black Sizzix logo on it).  You can ink it with a brayer, a sponge or the ink pad itself.  It all works.  I like just a light inking … and actually removed some of the ink in some spots to make a cloud-like effect.  Too juicy = too dark for my liking.

Once you have the Soft Sky applied grab your trees and your Mossy Meadow ink pad, ink the stamp and then stamp directly on the folder (on the same side as you did the blue).  I like to make sure I get the tips of the trees on the flat spaces of the folder.

Once inked place your 4 3/4" x 3 1/2" Whisper White card stock on the NON-inked side and close the folder tight.  You don't want to lay the card stock on the inked side as it will likely move and smudge when you close the folder.

Keep a tight grasp on the folder as you slide it through your Big Shot.  It took me a few tries to get this part right.  My Big Shot wasn't a tight enough squeeze to make a nice, crisp embossed image - it came out blurred and quite horrible, really.  I had to add a shim … a piece of the backing from our Designer Series Paper cut to 6" x 5".  I place the shim under the cutting pad just to make it a "little" tighter … but not too tight (or it cracks the whisper white card stock!).  You may have to experiment just a little to see what works best with your machine.

Once you open the folder you have this beautiful, water-colour picture look.  It's fabulous!

To bring out the details of the trees a little more very gently sponge a little soft suede on them.  It makes the bark stand out.

I added a 1/2" strip of Whisper White and 3/4" strip of Soft Sky for the sentiment … which came from the Crazy About You set, inked in Mossy Meadow.  I finished it off with an enamel dot (2015 Holiday Catalogue) and popped it up on dimensionals.

If you want to make more than one of this card you need to run your folder under water to clean it off.  As the ink is water based you just hold it under the water - no scrubbing required!

I matted the scene on a 5" x 3 3/4" piece of Mossy Meadow Card stock and wa-low!  A beautiful card … that yes, I will likely be using for my Dad's birthday next month.  Love it!

Thanks to Cynthia for sharing this little beauty with us.  And thanks for popping in.  Whatever you get up to today I hope you have a fabulous Thanksgiving surrounded by loved ones.  Have a stampy day!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment