Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Bleaching Technique

Happy Tuesday!

Is it Spring yet?

That's all I have to say about that.

Short and sweet today, as I need to get cracking and set up for class tonight! 

As of Sunday night I still hadn't settled on a technique.  I had a few in the back of my mind and played around for an hour or so before I decided we'd be learning the Bleaching Technique.  Here is the card we will be making:
I've wanted to do this technique for quite a while now ... like a few years! ... but to be honest a) using bleach in a carpeted room scared me and b) I didn't have a stamp set in mind that would work well with this technique.  I had seen the technique done by adding bleach to a baby wipe to make a bleach-ink pad of sorts.  You stamp your stamp in the bleach and then on your card stock.  Meh.  I tried it - didn't get great results.  Sunday I switched it up a bit and came up with the card above.  I stamped the orchid image from Happy Watercolor (have I convinced you to buy this set yet?  I've used it, what, 5 or 6 times already in the last few weeks??) in black Staz-on and stamped it a few times on Basic Gray card stock.  I then punched out (5) 1" squares and matted them with black postage stamp punched shapes.  THEN I went in with bleach.  I used an old blender pen (that is now reserved for bleach!) - dipped the pen in the bleach and "colored" each flower.  When the bleach dries the grey turns to a vanilla color.  I stamped the sentiment (from A Dozen Thoughts) in Staz-on and added a pearl to one of the orchids and I was done!

I had a lot of fun experimenting with bleaching different colored card stock.  My favorite was the Elegant Eggplant - the bleached color is a pretty pink ... not what you would expect!

This card was my first attempt ... but I couldn't "nail" the layout ... and it's didn't make the cut.  Thought I'd share it anyway so you can see the whole bleached image:
So there you have it - a new technique to play around with!

I'm off to cut paper now - pop in again soon - until then - Have a stampy day!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment