Saturday, August 17, 2013

Braided Paper Tutorial

Happy Saturday!

As promised I'm here to share a tutorial on the Braided Paper Technique (do you call it a technique?  Sure.  LEt's call it a technique).

I've seen this a few times lately and just had to give it a try.  I credit "Brandy" from "brandyscards" when I stumbled across her YouTube video via Pinterest.  I couldn't find her website but if you google "brandyscards" you will be able to see a video tutorial from her.

Subsequent to seeing the video I came across another tutorial and lovely card from Sandy Hancock at http://sandystamper.typepad.com/.  Here is the card she made using this technique:
Love it!  I adore how she used the woodgrain folder for the background.  It really pull the shole card together!  You saw my Christmas Peek a Boo card from yesterday but I have anotherone to share today.  I wanted to try a different card using the same braiding.  Here is what I made:
Love it!!  Here is another shot that shows the gold behind the braid a little better:
This braiding is SO quick and easy - you HAVE to try it!! 

First off you need to print off this template that Sandy provided on her website:
http://sandystamper.typepad.com/files/braidedtutcardtech.pdf

Simply cut off one of the template provided and line up the edge of her drawing with the edge of your card stock:
 Then you use your paper snips to cut JUST up to the edge of each line:
Once you have made all of the cuts remove the template.  Here's what you have: 
Open your card with the *mountain*  up (ie the front of your card stock facing up):
Fold down the first "V" like so: 
 Cut off AND KEEP that "V":
Now fold down every other "V": 
... until they are all folded: 
Now for the fun part ... the "braiding".  Simply tuck the point of each "V" under the pokey-uppey part of the previous "V" (don't tell me you've never used the word pokey-uppey before.  It's a word! *lol*) 
Continue tucking all of the "V"s ...
 ... until they are all tucked:
Now you take the "V" that you cut off at the beginning and we are going to glue it onto the very top portion ... like so: 
I used my 2-way glue pen ... 
Ta da!  ... or should I saw Wa-low!  Haven't used that word in a while!!  This is how it looks closed.  Easy, yes?  Yes! 
OK ... now I'll just show/tell you a little bit about the card I made (let's review ...)
I used my Lattice Square Die (page 193; $40.95) with Basic Black card stock.  Yes!  Another item I bought months and months ago that was STILL IN THE WRAPPER!!!  (I hang my head in shame ...) and attached it with my 2-way glue pen.  To make the sentiment piece I stamped the sentiment in the new Encore Gold Ink Pad - holiday catty page 28 - $12.95 (oh look!  I took a picture with my first attempt which was, in fact, black Staz-on ... oops!)  The sentiment is from Blessings from Heaven - page 76; $17.95 cl; $22.95 wood.  I punched it out with my Extra Large Oval punch (page 182; $22.95) and then punched a basic black piece out using the Decorative Label punch (page 181; $22.95).  This is how the punched pieces fit together:
I didn't like the little pokey uppey parts (SEE!  A very useful and versatile word!!) so I cut them off with my snips: 
... and then popped the sentiment up on dimensionals.  Now for the Gold accents.  I used my Elegant Butterfly punch (page 183; $21.95) for the butterfly using the Brushed Gold card stock (page 156; $9.95) and a little strip of the same card stock to put behind the first two braids.  To do that I applied my 2-way glue to the top 2 braids ON THE BACK OF THE CARD:  (in future I would use my Tombow ... oh, the "Multipurpose Liquid Glue" as it is now called - page 175; $5.95 - it will give a strong, flatter bond):
 
I added a few rhinestones and Wa-low!  Fabulous!~ 
Love it! 
 Now off you go to try it yourself.  Betcha can't stop at just one!!  *lol*

Thanks for popping in.  Until next time, have a stampy day!


Tam

3 comments:

  1. Awesome , love the look ! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the page to print the template and it only shows how to make the card . No pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. replica rolex watches, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of replica rolex yacht master, the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete