Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Hey Chick Meets Just Kidding

Happy Tuesday!

Do you ever make a card that just makes you GIDDY, you love it so much?? It doesn't happen ALL the time but every now and then I just can't WAIT to share a card I love.  Today is that day!!

I.  LOVE.  THIS.  CARD!!!

Bahahahahahaha!  Do you love it??  It's SO delicious "in person"!  That new Lemon Lime Twist is to DIE for … pair it with Island Indigo and … well … ya.  Love it!

I headed down to the Craft Cave after dinner needing my third card for class tomorrow.  I also wanted to make a card for a dear friend who I met 40 years ago in elementary school - Grade 3.  She now lives in Australia and turns the big 5-0 next week.  I've been wanting to make her a card for about 2 months now … alas … life kept getting in my way.  I had the IDEA of this card for ages but hadn't figured out the layout or colour scheme … until last night.  I found two cards that inspired me … and the one hour process began.

My original design idea came from fellow demonstrator Sandi MacIver over at www.stampinwithsandi.com …
I loved the colours and layout of Sandi's card.

Scrolling through my Pinterest board of layouts and colour schemes I love I stumbled across this GREAT layout by fellow demo Kimberly VanDiepen over at www.stampinbythesea.com ...
The colour scheme didn't take long to settle on.  I wanted a find, spring, light feel to the card and the new Lemon Lime Twist was perfect.  Whist I originally planned to make a faux chicken wire design, like in Sandi's cards, I spotted that the new designer paper (available in the new catalogue June 1) has a pattern that was chicken-wire'ish (could be a word!) and thats what I chose.

I struggled to find a coordinating color to go with my new favourite Lemon Lime Twist … so I turned to the new catalogue to see what the professionals over at Stampin' Up! paired with it.  They have another great DSP in the Eastern Palace Suite of products where they pair it with Island Indigo.  Well … who am I to argue with the designers?  Island Indigo it is!

I CASED Kimberly's layout exactly, just changing the colours …

Base - Whisper White - 8 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Lemon Lime Twist Strip - 1 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Island Indigo layer - 2 1/4" x 4 1/4"
Top Whisper White layer - 2 1/2" x 4"

I taped half a doily behind the layers and stapled a piece of Burlap Ribbon to the front.
The fluffy chicken is from none other than the retired SAB set Hey Chick.  Although I use current product 99.9% of the time in my classes this little lady just HAD to be used!

She's inked in Archiva Black ink and coloured using a blender pen and Lemon Lime Twist.  I accented her belly, wing, neck and tail with m Island Indigo marker, just to pull the colours together a bit more.

The splotches came from … hmmm … I forget … bit we all have lot of splotch options.  Gorgeous Grunge anyone?  I WOULD have used that but, to be honest, it was across the room and I couldn't be bothered to get up to grab it! *lol*

The sentiments came from another retired set "Just Kidding".  I bought it ages ago just for those stamps. LOVE them!  I stamped them on scrap white and punched them out with the Classic label punch.  I punched out two more pieces, one in Lemon Lime Twist and one in Island Indigo. I toed them together and popped them up on dimensionals.  The top chick layer is also popped up.

From start to finish the card took me an hour to design and pull together and … as I said, I just love the final look.

I'll mail it today to my friend. I know she won't get it in time for her actual birthday but better late than never, right???

That's it for today - I'm off to start the breakfast / lunch routine.

Have a super stampy day!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment