Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Basic Card Layout - How I start my card making process. MCM Layout Aug 10, 2026

 

Happy Tuesday!  It's a cool on here in Edmonton this morning so I'm thinking it's a perfect day to strap on my new runners and break them in a bit before Europe!  I haven't walked in a few weeks now.  My back was out ... and then I was out of the habit of "just go" ... time to smarten up!  Before I do, though, I wanted to get my blog post done for the cards we made last night during my MCM Live.  My goal for the night was to walk you through how I (generally) go about making a card.  Sounds simple to just "make a card" but, in the past, I would often just sit there, staring at my blank card base and think "now what?"

Let's start with what I made, showing that you don't need all the fancy toys and tools to make a great card!  The one on the left is simple a card base, layer of patterned paper, a die cut (from the paper pack) and a sentiment!  SIP - Stamps, Ink, Paper.  Absolutely lovely!  I then showed you how to "step it up" by adding texture, layers and embellishments.  Check them out ...

For both cards I used the Violet Dreams paper.  This one is about as simple as it can get, yet still so lovely!  I stamped the sentiment (Framed Violets) in Gorgeous Grape and added a single flower embellishment (Adhesive Backed Blooms) along with two Pearlized Faceted Circles.  Look, Mom, no bow!  Simply Lovely!

The "stepped up" version adds layers, texture, dimension and embellishments.  I added an embossed layer (the new Softly Woven 3D EF, released Sept 1, 2026) and a mat of Gorgeous Grape.  I added a Gorgeous Grape layer behind the banner piece as well.  For THIS banner I used my banner dies and trimmed the piece down so it was thinner.  This time I stamped the floral image but didn't colour it.  Yes, you have my permission to NOT colour things!  Look how it POPS without added colour!  I used the Pearlized Faceted Circles again, and added a bow.  I LOVE how it turned out!


The sign of a great layout is that it works with whatever papers you have on hand.  Here are the 3 I shared in my FB Live.



LOVE this one!  It uses the Lazy Daisy Embossing Folder and the new Sunflower Fields paper and Radiant Sunflowers Bundle.  In the video I share a tip on how I got the sentiment stamped in a line, when the actual stamp itself is NOT!  Check out the video replay down below.  I used the Radiant Gems for embellishments and coloured the image with Golden Glow and Mossy Meadow blends. 

This last one makes me so happy!  Of course you KNOW my love of all things blueberry ... but I also love that it came together in under 15 minutes!  I used the Homemade Sweetness paper and Filled with Sweetness Bundle.  The embellishments are Dewdrops Embellishments.  Oh! .. and the embossing folder id, again, the new Softly Woven 3D EF.  Swoon .....


Try this layout!  It really is a "keeper"!  If you want to make one, prep these pieces ....


Check out the video replay on how to put all the pieces together, the additional "mat" dimensions" and a few tricks and tips on using the banner dies .....

That's it for this week.  If you would like to join me LIVE for my MCM (Mystery Card Monday) sessions, you can catch me on my FaceBook Page here at 7:00 pm Mountain Time every Monday ... or on my YouTube Channel here at the same time (I stream live to both).  Like and Follow my FB Page and/or Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.  I'd love to have you - the live community is AMAZING and so much fun!

If you live in Canada and would like to purchase any of the items I used for my cards, just click any of the pictures below and you will be taken to my Stampin' Up! online store.  (I apologize that not all products are shown!  When I do a blog post before the product is available for sale I can't add it to the list shown below.)  Thank you!  I appreciate your support!

Stay amazing! 

Tamara

Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment